Active Library Filters - with Harmonic Key detection

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Active Library Filters - with Harmonic Key detection

Postby globalkeith » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:32 am

Hello!!

Firstly THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Been using and loving Mixxx for 3 years now and absolutely showing friends who are always blown away by its quality.

So, the purpose of this post is to propose to Mixxx to be the first and only software to enable a DJ to create
"Relationships" between tracks.

Put simply its a way of linking tracks together. But not linear like a playlist or even grouped like the excellent "Crates" concept which I also love by the way. This is more abstract that that. This enables the user to create "relationships" between tracks.

From a UI perspective it would require the ability to create multiple "directional links" between tracks (and store in the database) and the ability to browse "linked tracks" of the currently selected/playing track.

Most DJ's will understand that certain tracks just "fit" well together - as well as anyone familiar with the concept of harmonic mixing - this is a way for that relationship to be recorded and retrieved. Maybe there's several tracks that fit with the current track which each take the set in a different direction. That track has "lots of friends" so to speak.

Imagine a recursive tree structure or facebook "friends" or NodeDB. If you get the concept you'll quickly see that this will take the idea of "playlist" into multi dimensions.

What's not to like?

Well unfortunately I've no idea how this may or may not be possible in Mixxx - but I'd dearly love to see it one day.

So any thoughts? Is this possible, reasonable, achievable or even already thought of and dismissed??

thanks
Keith
Last edited by globalkeith on Sun May 27, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
globalkeith

Re: New Multidimensional Playlist Concept

Postby madjester » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:09 pm

If you put in the effort to search the forum you'll find someone actually suggested something similar before, but with mockups and everything. At the moment none of the core devs are working on this at the moment but we're not against it.
Madjester - Suomi / Dark Psytrance, Mixxx Developer
See my Soundcloud page: http://soundcloud.com/madjester.
madjester
Mixxx Developer

Postby globalkeith » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:31 pm

thanks for the info and sarcasm!
globalkeith

Postby madjester » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:10 am

globalkeith wrote:thanks for the info and sarcasm!

The idea is a good one, I wasn't being sarcastic there. It just seems redundant though to create new threads with the same idea over & over again, especially when the latest one is just another "me too" post.

In a while I'll see if I can dig up the post. It might have even been posted to the mailing list.
Madjester - Suomi / Dark Psytrance, Mixxx Developer
See my Soundcloud page: http://soundcloud.com/madjester.
madjester
Mixxx Developer

Postby rryan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:23 pm

As with all great ideas -- somebody already thought of them :)

See the bug and previous post here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/889898
http://www.mixxx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3059
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
Please report any bugs you find to our Bug Tracker.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby jus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 am

Thank you globalkeith for thinking about how to make Mixxx even better.

As said, there was already thought about many ideas - we have them gathered on the Mixxx project management platform to keep track.
Click to see current feature requests

You can help prioritize development by voting for specific bugs or feature request.
Even as a non-coder, you can help develop and improve Mixxx.
How?
Click here

Got a fresh idea? Share with us...
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.

Find out how to contribute to Mixxx development.
jus
Mixxx Artist

Postby globalkeith » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 am

Many thanks to everyone for the replys - you've inspired me to download the source code for mixxx.
I really dont have a clue what i'm doing but I've got the source code so I will continue my mission to learn coding and hopefully implement the simplest solution possible for this.

Looking through the feature list, this one sounds like the most simple idea:

Combine the following two suggestions:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/674067
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/675057

And I think this would at least a start along the idea. The key is this is as simple as possible to create - the other post someone linked to with all the screen designs is great, but in my view its over engineered - at least until we recognise that this is actually a really useful feature.

My current thought is to find the way to create a button at the top of the library which will filter the list with the current playing track. Thats it, nothing else - so if you're looking in your crate - it will only select from files in your crate. And the button is just a toggle - thats all. And finally the button will only look in the "key" column - if this is empty the feature will not filter anything.

This is my idea, I will let you know if I have any success.

kind regards
Keith
globalkeith

Postby globalkeith » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 am

While I have your attention, perhaps you could direct me to where i can find support for compiling the code:

I keep getting the error:

scons: *** [lib/soundtouch-1.6.0/sse_optimized.o] Error 1

which prevents my progress.
globalkeith

Postby rryan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi globalkeith,

Are you Linux? Can you paste the full output ? That one line isn't enough information to tell.

I think you may be able to fix this by compiling with
Code: Select all
$ scons optimize=9

Can you paste your scons command?
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby globalkeith » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi rryan

That worked thanks!!!

WOW GUYS!!!!! Firstly HAVE to say 1.11.0 Alpha is Frikken AWESOME!!!!

So I have a couple of questions regarding development:

1. I am using linux, what would be the recommended code editor for a project this size? I'm using gvim but I dont know/understand it very well so its difficult to navigate the project easily.

2. What is the development work flow - it currently takes around 6 minutes to compile and install on my laptop - presumably I dont need to do this each time I change the code do i?

thanks
Keith
globalkeith

Next

Return to General Discussion