Loading Itunes Library

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Loading Itunes Library

Postby Ptothej » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Obviously I am a complete novice to this so excuse me if this is the most ridicules question.

I've just downloaded Mixxx and selected my Itunes library but when I select a track to play it says it could not be loaded.

do I have to convert the Itunes songs into a format which is readable by Mixxx.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Ptothej

Re: Loading Itunes Library

Postby raffitea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Hey,

seems like you are using AAC encoded files. For Windows and Linux, the official Mixxx release does not support m4a files. OS X users, however, can play m4a files.

If you compile Mixxx yourself on Linux and Windows, AAC support can be activated.

I know this is all confusing, but we cannot distribute AAC support for systems other than OS X due to licensing issues.
raffitea
Mixxx Developer

Re: Loading Itunes Library

Postby simonthecyclist » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:52 am

If you dont have the skills to maually install mixx from code - which i dont!....................

You could go to your itunes libray

- select the tunes you want to play in Mixxx and convert them to MP3's - this does create a load of second songs in itunes - which will create itunes playlist problems if you dont address them - but you will be able to load them onto mixx.Youwould have to restart mixxx and rescan your utunes libray.

I have just converted all of my itunes aac files into mp3s - essentially doubling my music memory usage.

The reason that ITunes uses M4a/aac files is that they take up less room (among other reasons).
simonthecyclist

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ