mixxx and raspberry pi

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: mixxx and raspberry pi

Postby rryan » Tue May 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Hm, sounds like you don't have an audio device selected. Can you check the preferences and list your sound API, latency, and devices selected?
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
Please report any bugs you find to our Bug Tracker.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby rryan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Hm, some disturbing news about the USB implementation in raspberry pi:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 57ef4c58c6

It looks like there might be trouble for USB controllers that draw their power from the device. A dedicated hub or a controller powered by an external supply might be necessary.
The Mixxx Manual, Wiki and FAQ are the best place to start for documentation and support.
Please report any bugs you find to our Bug Tracker.
rryan
Mixxx Developer

Postby shibbiddyd » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi, neufena! Can you post your compile commands?
shibbiddyd

Postby Taxicletter » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:27 pm

I use Mixxx on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian.
I only use ALSA, because PulseAudio crashes.

The repository version is version 1. Which is a problem, because in that version, you can't use a splitter cable to split stereo in prelisten-channel and master-channel.

You can select a non OpenGL-using waveform display.

The default audio output works for Audacious, but somehow on Mixxx it's horrible. Therefor, I use an external USB-soundcard. That seems to improve the general speed in Mixxx also (otherwise, the analysing of tracks would take too long and song play would slow down).
Since I can't use a splitter cable, I tried 2 external USB-soundcards but for now, that crashes my system.

I think you could use JACK for the splitsing stuff, but I didn't find out how yet.

Any hints on how to update Mixxx to version 2?
On how to use JACK to split left and right channel for use with a splitter cable (Griffin).
Taxicletter

Postby Be. » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:15 am

I'm not very familiar with Raspbian or Debian, so I don't know if there are more up to date Mixxx packages for ARM. You may have to compile it yourself.

Generally, using one sound card with 4 channels of output is recommended because it is most reliable and easiest to configure. It is weird that using two USB sound cards crashes your system. Can you provide more information? Does Mixxx crash or your whole system? Could you attach your ~/.mixxx/mixxx.log file from after that happens? What sound cards are you using?

As for setting up JACK to use a splitter cable, you can do it with QJackCtl by routing Mixxx's master and headphones outputs to only one channel each of your sound card instead of going to both channels.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!
Be.

Postby Fayaaz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi all,

If you're having problems with Mixxx, this seemed to work on RPi2/3:

https://gist.github.com/fayaaz/8800d520 ... 1a54c5b6c0

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install libjack-dev libjack0 portaudio19-dev
sudo apt-get build-dep mixxx
sudo apt-get install g++ git scons libqt4-dev libqt4-sql-sqlite libportmidi-dev \
  libopusfile-dev libshout-dev libtag1-dev libprotobuf-dev protobuf-compiler \
  libusb-1.0-0-dev libfftw3-dev libmad0-dev \
  portaudio19-dev libchromaprint-dev librubberband-dev libsqlite3-dev \
  libid3tag0-dev libflac-dev libsndfile-dev libupower-glib-dev
sudo apt-get install libfaad-dev libmp4v2-dev
git clone https://github.com/mixxxdj/mixxx.git
cd mixxx
scons -j4 optimize=native opengles=1 machine=armhf faad=1
sudo scons -j4 install

The speed of analysing files on the RPI leaves a lot to be desired but I got two USB soundcards (ODAC for main output, Numark Mixtrack Pro for headphones) to work fine and everything was responsive.
Fayaaz

Postby Be. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks Fayaaz. I made a note about those scons arguments on the wiki.
Be.

Postby Taxicletter » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Be. wrote:I'm not very familiar with Raspbian or Debian, so I don't know if there are more up to date Mixxx packages for ARM. You may have to compile it yourself.

Generally, using one sound card with 4 channels of output is recommended because it is most reliable and easiest to configure. It is weird that using two USB sound cards crashes your system. Can you provide more information? Does Mixxx crash or your whole system? Could you attach your ~/.mixxx/mixxx.log file from after that happens? What sound cards are you using?

As for setting up JACK to use a splitter cable, you can do it with QJackCtl by routing Mixxx's master and headphones outputs to only one channel each of your sound card instead of going to both channels.

The soundcards are two unknow-brand usb-stick-thingies. I get it to work by selecting one of them as "default" in the system audio preferences and then select that default as headphone-output in Mixxx. The crash is only with that soundcard: a freeze of mouse and keyboard, but things on the screen, keep running (like drawing a waveform, or scanning the library). It's a cheap "5.1 surround" soundcard, which sometimes gives a long list of possible outputs in Mixxx ("front and rear speakers", "front and woofer", ...), it's when I select some of those that everything freezes. I have to pull the plug, because I don't know the key-combination to call the task manager (which wouldn't work, since keyboard isn't responding) or force quit running apps.

I'll try to attach the log file later!
Taxicletter

Postby Taxicletter » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:45 pm

I guess the usefull part in mixxx.log is:
Warning [Controller]: USB permissions problem (or device error.) Your account needs write access to USB HID controllers.
Debug [Controller]: Found 0x0 0x0 "r289" S/N 0x0 "Interface 1"
Warning [Controller]: USB permissions problem (or device error.) Your account needs write access to USB HID controllers.
Debug [Controller]: Found 0x0 0x0 "r256" S/N 0x0 "Interface 0"
Debug [Controller]: Found 0x0 0x0 "r256" S/N 0x0 "Interface 3"
Debug [Controller]: Found 0x0 0x0 "r256" S/N 0x0 "Interface 3"
Debug [Controller]: ControllerManager::getControllerList
Taxicletter

Postby Be. » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:08 pm

How are you starting Mixxx? From a launcher icon/menu or from the command line? If you're starting from the command line, you likely need to suspend PulseAudio so Mixxx can use your sound cards directly with ALSA.

The log just shows you have some HID devices plugged in that you do not have permission to use. Unless there is an HID controller you are trying to use, that does not matter. That is separate from issues with the sound cards. Could you attach your whole log?
Be.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion