Change the eq

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Change the eq

Postby DJ-Tim » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 am

I don't know if this would be the right place to discuss or the mailing list but I start here.

I find Mixxx a really nice program and as you can read in my post below I got my uc-33e to work like a charm with it.

The only thing what I don't like about Mixxx is that the eq sounds not that nice. I was first thinking to reduce the values of my midi controller but that doesn't solve the problem.

The low tone really kills to deep, I can move it a little and tear my hole music apart. It's to deep and to unmusical, is there a way to improve or change that? (same story for the mid and high tone)

I was looking to switch between static and the other eq setting, but that doesn't solve it either...

Sorry for the critical note, like I said, for the rest, I love this program..

Tim
DJ-Tim

Re: Change the eq

Postby jukingeo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:30 pm

DJ-Tim wrote:I don't know if this would be the right place to discuss or the mailing list but I start here.

I find Mixxx a really nice program and as you can read in my post below I got my uc-33e to work like a charm with it.

The only thing what I don't like about Mixxx is that the eq sounds not that nice. I was first thinking to reduce the values of my midi controller but that doesn't solve the problem.

The low tone really kills to deep, I can move it a little and tear my hole music apart. It's to deep and to unmusical, is there a way to improve or change that? (same story for the mid and high tone)

I was looking to switch between static and the other eq setting, but that doesn't solve it either...

Sorry for the critical note, like I said, for the rest, I love this program..

Tim

Mixxx has a kill type EQ system. So I do understand what you mean that the EQ doesn't seem 'normal'. However, if you are in Linux there is a solution.

What you could do is to set up each output of Mixxx to be independent of each other. Pipe the two outputs into another mixer that supports plug ins. Then you can put an EQ plug-in on each channel. The nice thing about the separate mixer approach is that you can add other sources and microphones (and you CAN record the output too). I do stress the importance of finding a mixing application that accepts plug-ins (such as Ardour) because YOU can pick the EQ YOU want. You can map Ardour to your U-33 as well. Another thing you should do is familiarize yourself with Jack Audio Control Kit. This can help you set up your applications in Linux with much greater ease. Mixxx is compatible with Jack and you NEED Jack for Ardour.

You may find that Ardour may be a bit much for you. You don't HAVE to have that program. Really any good mixing program that accepts plug-ins on each channel and uses Jack will do the job nicely.

Good luck and enjoy!
jukingeo

Re: Change the eq

Postby DJ-Tim » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:56 am

Thank you very much for your reply and sorry for my late reply.

I'm on mac/windows atm but I can give it a shot. I know it works like kills but killing is not my idea of a musical equaliser.
If you look at more expensive mixers (A&H, Ecler, Dateq, Vestax, Pioneer) they don't have kill knobs (maybe buttons) but just a musical eq.

If you turn for example the low back, it's not entirely gone. It's enough gone to make a proper mix without to much low. I can't explain it that well. I would suggest you to download a demo version of Traktor and play a song, than twist some knobs from the eq.

Than you'll see what I mean. They have several emulations of equalisers (A&H, Ecler, Pioneer) and they are really nice sounding.

What I would prefer is to program myself a nice equaliser for Mixxx, but I don't know anything about the language mixxx was made in. Maybe somebody can point me in the right direction for doing that?
DJ-Tim

Return to General Discussion