Korg KAOSS DJ midi mapping help

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Re: Korg KAOSS DJ midi mapping help

Postby bgmnt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Oh, it seems, I am a little bit late with my pictures of the device... :) I put them in the wiki as supplement.

Thanks for the updated mapping, Fayaaz! Library browsing looked good so far, will test it further later.

Since I have another controller and discovered this wonderful filter function (still an amateur :oops: ) to make transitions between complex music pieces, i miss this function on the Korg. I will have a look, how this can be done. Perhaps I have to put some other knob function at the second level with shift, to make the filter usable on the first level (because both hands are needed for both filter buttons usually). Gain knob could be done with shift in my case.
This is nothing for the official mapping, only a side note.
bgmnt

Postby Fayaaz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 pm

I too have thought about this - but I am using it alongside a mixtrack 3 which does have the filters and can use them on all 4 decks. Possibly the gain could be repurposed as I find very little use for gain given everything pretty much works through ReplayGain. However this doesn't have a point where the '0' clicks in place so you may find you leave the filter on a little bit which is hard to 0 again. I hope that makes sense.

Please feel free to add stuff to the wiki page - I have left it unfinished.

EDIT: Ah I just remembered there is still the FX pad of the controller to use - this could be solely for the filter (when the top LED of the Sampler/Controller/Kaoss FX is illuminated red). Or for using the new effects stuff in Mixxx. Adding that and adding beatlooproll would finish the first pass at these bindings.
Fayaaz

Postby bgmnt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Fayaaz wrote: However this doesn't have a point where the '0' clicks in place so you may find you leave the filter on a little bit which is hard to 0 again. I hope that makes sense.
Ah, i forgot about the missing center point - you are absolutely right. But at least this is probalby nothing, that should be in a mapping for everyone, so every user has to decide, how to remap this. I think, I abuse the centered mids knob - i almost never used it in the past and it is still reachable with shift.

Please feel free to add stuff to the wiki page - I have left it unfinished.
I will do, step by step. At least we have a start and the device is findable :)

EDIT: Ah I just remembered there is still the FX pad of the controller to use - this could be solely for the filter (when the top LED of the Sampler/Controller/Kaoss FX is illuminated red). Or for using the new effects stuff in Mixxx. Adding that and adding beatlooproll would finish the first pass at these bindings.

Yes, but is this possible? I thought, it isn't (dunno why) but when the button remaps the pad to software effects, the pad could be mapped to other functions as well. But I don't know, if this is good for filtering, because I use the filter as a "holded" function. Means: deck 1 is filtered out and starting to play and deck 2 is playing and coming to track end. Then I start to apply the filter on deck 2 and release it on deck 1 - simultaneously, for a smooth transition. For this, I need both hands and fixed filter positions. For the simple filter effect, one could use the Kaoss effects, right?

What I have to test, if prelistening of the built-in Kaoss effects works in your mapping with the FX button. It did even not work in Virtual DJ with the provided official mapping, seems to be not trivial.
bgmnt

Postby bgmnt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Oh, additionally: Of course one can work with the filter on a X/Pad and the faders and so, but perhaps not only I prefer doing two knobs, which is more precisely. Thats the reason for all the cirumstances in explaining :)
bgmnt

Postby EasyX » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Fayaaz wrote:Latest version uploaded. Library browsing is now working and slightly better controls on the jog platters.

Fayyaz, thank you a lot!
EasyX

Postby bgmnt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Okay, finally I found some time to test the mapping. Result with 2.1 Beta:

- the FX button sadly did nothing. It does not seem to be mapped somewhere, right? What would the expected behaviour be? Prelistening an activated effect (that is not active on a deck so far), when I remember right. While activating the effect for a deck (and so: master output at least) would be done via mouse. Would be good, to have some feedback here, because I never used the Mixxx effect section before. Mapping to the headphone output should be possible via [EffectRack1_EffectUnitN] plus group_[Headphone]_enable - I will try that that later.

- Jogwheels: I'm not able to deal with JS at this time. So I have to ask: Is there a way, to have a different bevahiour to the jog wheels, than there is at the moment, like: When a song is playing, "turning" the jog wheel is like going forward/backward in the track (like in a tape deck, while it plays). By hitting Shift plus "turning" the jog wheel a fast forward/backward is possible, like when stopping a tape deck and then going fwd/bwd. The difference to the existing shift+touchstrip strip search: The position in the track follows the move of the jog wheel relatively. Since I never scratch, I used the jog wheel heavily to navigate in tracks on the non-playing deck - and Virtual DJ e.g. hat the desired behaviour on by default. It should not be so exotic then :]
Perhaps, when someone points me to the nescessary function names, I could play for myself with it, but I am not very optimistic with this. (And: Is it just JS or Component.js?)

- Quick filter: Using the mid EQ knob for quick filter is not possible, since there is no way, to keep the mid EQ function via shift (i had a wrong assumption here). And mid EQ is still important, even when used seldom. I abused the pitch bends here - I never use them and they do the job.

Unfortunately, the KAOSS DJ is not very flexible in mapping because of a mix between notes and control changes. So there is no way to use Shift and Prelistening or FX - or is it possible? My Midi sniffer is not helping here with a changed value for the notes...
bgmnt

Postby larromba » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 pm

For anyone interested this feature is now in development here https://github.com/mixxxdj/mixxx/pull/1509

You can find more information on the wiki here https://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/korg_kaoss_dj#mapping

As of right now (whilst in development) you must build the source yourself from here https://github.com/larromba/mixxx/tree/feature/korgKaossDJ and load the Korg KAOSS preset. There was also a bug fixed here for Mac, where the LEDs weren't lighting up

If you have Mixxx 2.1, and the preset is missing, you can try downloading it from here https://github.com/larromba/mixxx_kaoss_dj and then load it manually
larromba

Postby bgmnt » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Wow, interesting progress is going on there on github :)
But are there some thoughts on my latest answer in this thread? Regarding the jog wheels and the FX button.

Thanks for contributing, larromba!
bgmnt

Previous

Return to Controller presets/mappings