DDJ-SB3 Deck 3/4

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

DDJ-SB3 Deck 3/4

Postby butyokkapitany » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Hello Everyone!

I've done some controller mapping/scipting on my Pioneer DDJ-SB3, based on the DDJ-SB2 script. I would say, that 90% of the controls works now as intended (except for some pad controls), but I have no idea how to enable Deck 3 and 4.
As far as my knowledge goes (which is not that much), the controller should send the Deck play,cue etc. signals on Midi Channel 3 and 4 when the Deck button is pressed, but I wasn't able to get any signal from channel 3 and 4. In Serato Lite, the Deck buttons are working as intended (so I can use Deck 3 and 4 inside the software), and they light up. But when Serato is not running, it doesn't even light up when I press them. The buttons themselves are functioning, I checked it with --mididebug, and Shift+Deck4 enables AutoDJ.
-GNU is not UNIX.
-Where does it say that?
-In the name, GNU
butyokkapitany

Re: DDJ-SB3 Deck 3/4

Postby anaboull » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm

hello !
same pb impossible to enable deck 3 & 4 ( C & D)
i try to found it with another controller
if you have some news :) post it :)
anaboull

Postby JosepMa » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:28 pm

I don't know if it is the case with DDJ-SB3, but some controllers do no have physical changes for decks 3&4, but instead it is simulated in software. If that is the case, decks 3 and 4 would send signals for decks 1 and 2, and the software (the mapping in this case) needs to simulate the change and light the leds accordingly.

Also, I had a controller that allowed to disable decks 3 / 4, or to send them as decks 1 / 2. This was done from the driver control panel.
It might not be related, but it could be that the controller needs a specific message to tell it to allow decks 3 / 4.

I don't have any Pioneer controller, so I can't help.
JosepMa

Postby Be. » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:07 am

butyokkapitany wrote:I wasn't able to get any signal from channel 3 and 4.

How did you determine this? Did you watch the incoming MIDI signals when running Mixxx with the --controllerDebug command line argument? If the controller does change the MIDI channel for decks 3 and 4, you'll need to duplicate all the mappings in the XML file for decks 1 & 2 for decks 3 & 4. (We're working towards removing the need for the XML file, but for now copy & paste then find & replace will have to do.)
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby butyokkapitany » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:23 am

I checked it with both --controllerdebug and --mididebug, and not a single midi message was on channel 3 or 4. The official Midi mapping pdf file from the Pioneer support site says that its capable of 4 channel mode. The Deck 3/4 buttons doesn't even light up when I send Midi messages to them,so my guess is that it needs a special one to enable them. I was curious and sent a couple of Midi signals to the controller, and some of them triggered functions that I was unable to do in the first place. It needs some further investigations.
-GNU is not UNIX.
-Where does it say that?
-In the name, GNU
butyokkapitany

Postby Be. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Pioneer's MIDI documentation says it uses MIDI channels 3 & 4 for decks 3 & 4. As a guess, maybe the computer needs to send the same MIDI message that the controller sends when the deck toggle button is pressed to get the controller firmware to switch modes. You'd probably need to do that anyway to keep the LED for the deck toggle button lit. If that doesn't work, you can do the deck switching in JS even if the MIDI channels stay with just 1 & 2.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Return to Controller presets/mappings