VCI 100 Mapping and Skin

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

VCI 100 Mapping and Skin

Postby yakas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:58 am

Hi, I just dl'd the software for the first time and love the concept of open source, but unfortunately nothing seems to be working correctly. I have read through the forum a fair bit and looked into the wiki stuff but getting my controller mapped correctly seems a little over my head. But I am very interested in making this software work for my VCI 100. I have lots of graphical and UI design capabilitiesand I would love to collaborate with some people on creating a skin and map for the VCI 100. But I have no clue where to start or if there already is something out there. I look forward to contributing what I can. Thanks for everyone's work on this.

By the way i am unemployed right now so i have lots of time to throw at this. ;)

Yakas
yakas

Re: VCI 100 Mapping and Skin

Postby anders » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:18 am

I can try to help out a bit with mapping this control. I need help with testing and logging though. This weekend I'll go to a festival, so it will have to wait a few days.

In the meantime it's good if you help me think out how this control should be mapped in terms of what controls what. It's possible to have buttons that shift functionality on other buttons and controllers, so you can have multiple functions on the same buttons and controls. You probably want to peek on how mappings for other software works with this control, and how other controllers work with Mixxx.

Also if you can find a manual for the VCI 100 with specification of midi-messages it would be helpful.
anders

Postby yakas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Great.
Ive been using Virtual DJ 6 and it worked great except for the jog wheel.

I will start mapping the VCI to the "lateNightBlues1280x800" skin
Do you think we should try to create our own skin?

I would like to know more about what kind of functions you would like to see on the same button. I personally use just the basic stuff, but am up for trying anything new.

I found this image which looks like what you might want
yakas

Postby anders » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:57 pm

You don't need to create your own skin if you don't want a certain look. I use the ordinary outline skins, and I don't know much about making new skins.

Maybe other mappings use some shift functionality one can be inspired by, itch, traktor or why not virtual dj.

I found a table of midi messages in the user manual. Basically the same but with hex values sent by the control instead of notes. I'll get started as soon as I have some time over.
anders

Postby yakas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:00 pm

here is something i really would like
http://imm.io/YV1

the scratch mode would respond like an actual record would if touched
the CD seek mode would be for adjusting the speed temporarily to make sure your beats are lined up.

One thing that would be cool, but i have no clue if its possible would be a dedicated balance and dedicated pitch for each of the hi, mid, and low.
yakas

Postby anders » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:23 pm

I think the VCI har touch sensitive wheels, so it should be possible to do what you want.

You can help me by starting mixxx from a console or startmenu / run... with the command 'mixxx --midiDebug' without touching anything else, touch one wheel at the time, on the metal, and drag them one full lap. After that close Mixxx and get the file c:\program files\mixxx\mixxx.log and post it here or send it to me.

Do you want to move the midpoint frequency and balance for each equalizer band? That isn't possible to do by midi scripting, and maybe it will be a bit complex to use with the limited amount of knobs. Maybe some ladspa effect provide functionality similar to that.
anders

Postby yakas » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:35 pm

I am doing what you said, I enter mixxx --midiDebug in the run command, mix starts, i turn the jog, but when i go to the log file it hasnt been modified today.

but if i run the program normally, it updates the log.

i sent that to your email
yakas

Postby anders » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Are you on Vista or Windows 7. In that case you might not be allowed to write files in your program folder unless you run as administrator. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... a-run-box/

If this doesn't work try to start a console, 'cmd' as run command. The use something like 'cd \program files\mixxx' to move to mixx folder and start mixxx by using the same command in the console.
anders

Postby yakas » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:25 pm

looks like it worked, i am using xp
thanks
see your email for log file
yakas

Postby MrF » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi anders,

I copied the xml and js file to my /Mixxx/midi directory and selected VCI-100 in preferences again. The scratch mode now works quite good. What I recognized is a small delay between using the jogwheel and actually hearing the scratch sound. But this could be due to my quite old laptop (1.3GHz, single core, 1GB RAM ) or some wrong ASIO settings. What I also recognized is that the jogwheels only work if I touch the surface of the jogwheels twice, the first time I touch a jogwheel the Data Send LED of the VCI-100 blinks, but Mixxx does not react.

Nevertheless, the new configuration parameters you found are really a big step forward.

Regards,
MrF

PS: I was logged in as administrator and user at the same time, now I logged the user off and delay got much much better!
But the issue with having to touch the jogwheel two times stays.
MrF

Next

Return to Controller presets/mappings