DENON MC4000 Mapping

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Re: DENON MC4000 Mapping

Postby aperception » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:32 pm

OK I've started on a new mapping today and have uploaded a prototype to my github using the new JS library that BE is working on as a base.

Hardly any of the controls are mapped yet, but I expect to complete it over the next few days / weeks. If anyone is interested in collaborating so I don't have to do it all myself that would be highly appreciated.

Edit: The BASIC functionality is now mostly implemented: E.g. the mixer controls, jog wheels, scratching (with vinyl mode on), pitch faders, library load, etc.
Still need to mapped: hot cues, loops, FX, and the sampler as well as some other miscellaneous buttons.
aperception

Postby HardyMilts » Mon May 02, 2016 9:57 pm

This is amazing work! Thank you for doing this :)

It all seems to be working for me (on linux mint, with mixxx 2.0.0.1)

Scratch doesn't seem to work for me - with vinyl mode on, when I touch the jog wheel, I get an error 'A control you used is not working properly....' 'Details' gives 'Could not getControlObjectThread()' - 'Ignore' just has it pitch bending. If I touch the jog when the track is not playing, it will play forwards and backwards with the jog, but it will sort of coast, rather than track the position of the jog) (if that makes sense?)

I'm afraid I can't help with the code - I thought I might be able to spot a problem, but I'm new to this, and looking at the code, it's just too much for me (it would take me weeks to understand it, although I shall devote my spare time to it in case I can help in the future!!)

Thanks again for your hard work. I can help with testing, at least!

All the best!

EDIT: Looking at the code, I changed the latency setting in mixxx to it's lowest value, and the 'coasting' I was talking about is all but gone. Hope that helps!
HardyMilts

Postby aperception » Tue May 03, 2016 4:23 am

when I touch the jog wheel, I get an error 'A control you used is not working properly....'

You might need to compile from source code using the latest version of the master branch to get it working, as I haven't tested with any other versions.

If it still doesn't work after that, then please run mixxx from the command line using the --midiDebug argument and see if there is any more useful debug information there.
aperception

Postby aperception » Sat May 07, 2016 8:58 pm

I've made a few major revisions to the mapping over the last week, and have submitted for review.

Are there any MC4000 users here that own macs? I'd like someone to test something for me.
aperception

Postby HardyMilts » Mon May 09, 2016 8:25 pm

I compiled from the master branch on another machine, and a quick test seems to all work as it should. Hurray!

On my 'live machine', with mixxx 2.0.0.1, your new xml and js give me the same error message when I touch the jogs, but clicking 'ignore' doesn't have it scratch at all, not even the 'coasting' thing I had before - it just alters the pitch when I spin the jogs.

It might be that I've done something silly with the configuration in the past, and a fresh install of the stable version might work ok, but I can't risk trying it right now... (It works with my old controller (numark mixtrack pro 2) and I'll need it later in the week - I'm afraid I might break it if I mess with it trying to get the mc4000 working, and then be stuck when I need it!)

the --midiDebug option gives pages and pages of the same error - each tick, presumably?;

Debug [Controller]: "MIDI t:28887 ms status 0x90 (ch 1, opcode 0x9), ctrl 0x00, val 0x7F"
Debug [Controller]: sending MIDI bytes: 144 , 0 , 127
Debug [Controller]: sending MIDI bytes: 144 , 1 , 0
Debug [Controller]: "MIDI t:29048 ms status 0x90 (ch 1, opcode 0x9), ctrl 0x00, val 0x00"
Debug [Main]: Committing transaction on "qt_sql_default_connection" result: true
Debug [Controller]: "MIDI t:32384 ms status 0xB0 (ch 1, opcode 0xB), ctrl 0x06, val 0x01"
Warning [Controller]: ControlDoublePrivate::getControl returning NULL for ( "[Channel0]" , "scratch2_enable" )
Warning [Controller]: ControllerEngine: Unknown control "[Channel0]" "scratch2_enable" , returning 0.0
Debug [Controller]: "MIDI t:32391 ms status 0xB0 (ch 1, opcode 0xB), ctrl 0x06, val 0x02"
Warning [Controller]: ControlDoublePrivate::getControl returning NULL for ( "[Channel0]" , "scratch2_enable" )
Warning [Controller]: ControllerEngine: Unknown control "[Channel0]" "scratch2_enable" , returning 0.0

Is that any help? I'm guessing you'll want the mapping to work with the stable version, not just the master branch?

If the above doesn't reveal anything, then I'll bite the bullet and reinstall fresh with 2.0.0.1 and try again. I can do that over the weekend. It might be time for me to start fresh anyway ;) I seem to have a lot of redundant log files and stuff in my .mixxx directory, some of which are quite large...

If version 2.1 is close to stable, then perhaps it's better that I just wait for a few weeks? When I was running the master branch version on the other machine it didn't crash or anything, but that was only half an hour or so....

Thanks again for your efforts; really looking forward to using Mixxx with the Denon controller (I'm not getting on that well with Serato, to be honest! Or Windows, for that matter.)

BTW - is anyone else working ok with the mc4000 with Mixxx 2.0.0.1 on Linux? Is it just me that's got a problem? It wouldn't surprise me...
HardyMilts

Postby HardyMilts » Wed May 18, 2016 6:47 pm

I deleted my installation of mixxx 2.0.0.1 and removed the .mixxx folder (I'm on linux mint 17.1) Reinstalled from the ppa. I got mostly the same issues;

When the track is playing, touching the jog has no effect, spinning the jog (with 'vinyl' on) just increases/decreases pitch.

When the track is paused, touching the jog and spinning will move the track forwards and backwards, but the 'coasting' I was talking about still occurs depending on the value in 'audio buffer' - minimum value gives next to no 'coasting' max value (92.9ms) has it 'coast' along for a couple of seconds after the jog wheel is stopped.

The error seems to come up less frequently whilst a track is playing than it did before reinstalling. But still doesn't appear to effect operation if I click 'ignore'.

I've tried playing briefly with some of values in the .js file, but I don't know what I'm doing, and I didn't make any progress - didn't solve anything.

I've now compiled from source from the master branch, so I'm running the 2.1.0-alpha-pre version. Everything I've tried seems to work as it should; jogs stop the track when touched, scratch, no error message...

I've been using this version for a couple of days and it seems stable! So if there's no appetite to fix the mapping for 2.0.0.1 (assuming I'm not the only one with the problem) then I guess we should just wait for the stable release of 2.1?

EDIT: - just to add - with 2.1, and the track paused, if I take my finger off the jog before it stops spinning, it will 'coast'. If I keep my finger on until it stops, then it doesn't. Does that give a clue?

All the best everyone
:)
HardyMilts

Postby aperception » Sun May 22, 2016 10:56 am

I've now compiled from source from the master branch, so I'm running the 2.1.0-alpha-pre version. Everything I've tried seems to work as it should; jogs stop the track when touched, scratch, no error message...

Good to hear. I'm planning on submitting a patch to the 2.1 branch with some currently unsupported controls that I want to use on the MC4000 mapping, so I think it makes sense to target release 2.1.
aperception

Postby aperception » Sun May 22, 2016 3:00 pm

just to add - with 2.1, and the track paused, if I take my finger off the jog before it stops spinning, it will 'coast'. If I keep my finger on until it stops, then it doesn't. Does that give a clue?

Sorry I don't really follow you... would you be able to post a video or something demonstrating the steps to reproduce the issue that you're having?
aperception

Postby gioktu » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:38 am

we moved from here: http://mixxx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f ... 3&start=10
Be. wrote:
gioktu wrote:
Be. wrote:The Denon MC4000 already has a mapping.

it has error with jogwheel and many buttons don't work. i've already done a better mapping in two days.

Huh? Where did you get the mapping from? Are you using it with Mixxx 2.0 or 2.1 alpha? Please don't clutter this thread any more and let's take further discussion about the MC4000 to its thread.

here: https://github.com/mixxxdj/mixxx/tree/m ... ontrollers
it was not that hard :)
gioktu

Postby Be. » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:42 pm

The mapping is for the master branch. If you try to use it with Mixxx 2.0 it will not work.
Mixxx is free because it's yours!

I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Controller presets/mappings