Pioneer DDJ-SX Controller Mapping

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Pioneer DDJ-SX Controller Mapping

Postby DJMaxergy » Thu May 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Hello everybody,

I recently bought the Pioneer DDJ-SX Controller and made a mapping including javascript by myself, derived from the existing Pioneer DDJ-SB2 mapping. The controller is fully functional with Mixxx, a few special button functions are included, too.
What do I have to do to make it available to you? Perhaps I should make a wiki topic about it, too? How can I do that?
If someone needs this mapping, I can also attach it here I think?
DJMaxergy

Re: Pioneer DDJ-SX Controller Mapping

Postby sblaisot » Sat May 28, 2016 10:29 am

Hi,

If you want your mapping to be included in Mixxx, a good start is http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/cont ... g_mappings

don't hesitate to ask if you have any further question.
sblaisot

Postby Be. » Tue May 31, 2016 3:39 pm

The link sblaisot posted above describes the process in detail. Until your mapping has been reviewed and included in Mixxx, it'd be good to attach the files to the first post in this thread so users can download it.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby DJMaxergy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:41 pm

Thank you very much for your answers! I will do everything needed to get the mapping included into Mixxx, as described at the posted link by sblaisot. The only problem at the moment is that I haven't got time to set up git and do a wiki page about the mapping. I try to do it as soon as possible. Until then I attach the mapping here. Most of the coding guidelines and conventions should already be considered I think. If not, I will correct it.
Attachments
PIONEER_DDJ-SX.zip
Pioneer DDJ-SX Mapping (Beta, tested but not yet reviewed or added to git or wiki)
(17.28 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
DJMaxergy

Postby unknown78 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Ok it works realy well already. A few things i noticed.

A Loop Selection and length:
- Auto LOOP button does nothing (would be cool if this section works like in serato)
- Jog Dials -> serato has 2 modes -> if you touch on top it's faster movement / if you move it on the side it's slower movement .. fine adjustment for on the fly looping are realy hard at the moment because the point when it reacts is very late and than its very fast already
- the FX settings could need some tweaking ..
- when you are in the library and try to browse throu the file system the select next sub dir button press doesn't work
unknown78

Postby ericanyshare » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:00 am

Thanks for doing this. Knowing it's done gives me the confidence to buy this controller. Would be good if you did the updates suggested and submit it properly, but very much appreciate your efforts regardless :)
ericanyshare

Postby Be. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:06 am

Hi DJMaxergy, I saw that you started a wiki page for this controller. If you are not aware, we are overhauling the effects UI for Mixxx 2.1 and working on a JavaScript library to make it easy to map controllers like the DDJ-SX to fully take advantage of the new UI. An initial version of the JS library is already in the master branch, but we are currently working on reworking the EffectUnit object.

If you can compile Mixxx and use git, testing the proposed changes to the EffectUnit in the library would be appreciated. Unfortunately there is a bug in the master git branch (and Mixxx 2.0) that interferes with the proposed changes to the JS library, so to test the updates you'd have to compile my proposed fix for the bug. If you are not familiar with Git and GitHub, take a look at the Using Git wiki page, particularly for checking out GitHub pull requests locally. If that's all too much trouble, you could wait for us to work out the details and get them merged to master, but the more people we have testing it, the better it will be.

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby DJMaxergy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi Be., yes I started and now finished the wiki page for this controller!
When you see the date of the first post here, you realize that it's been a long time since I started the mapping and going forward now to get it included into Mixxx release (now added nearly every function the controller can handle, it is fully functional as described in the original manual and I investigated a lot of time in the code and reviewing it). To have time for these things is a real problem for me, but I really want to help concerning the development, since I'm using Mixxx exclusively for DJing.
I just installed Git onto my MAC and tried to get things to work (fork...making a branch for the controller mapping and push it). I'm using my MAC only for DJing/music, so I'm not yet very familiar with the terminal commands and git.
My next step would be to make a pull request for the mapping...so should I wait with that until the overhauling of the effects UI is complete or can I do it now?
Since compiling seems not so easy as I first saw the how-to description, I don't know if I can manage it in the near future...I try, but I must get more into these Git and GitHub things, I think.
DJMaxergy

Postby DJMaxergy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Here is the new, reworked, feature added and reviewed (guidelines) Pioneer DDJ-SX Mapping...for those who can test it! Please give me feedback!
See http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/pioneer_ddj-sx for the functional details.
Attachments
Pioneer DDJ-SX.zip
New reworked final version
(22.81 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
DJMaxergy

Postby Be. » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:02 am

DJMaxergy wrote:Hi Be., yes I started and now finished the wiki page for this controller!
When you see the date of the first post here, you realize that it's been a long time since I started the mapping

Tell me about it. :) I have been working on my mapping for a year now and still find things to change.

DJMaxergy wrote:My next step would be to make a pull request for the mapping...so should I wait with that until the overhauling of the effects UI is complete or can I do it now?

You may as well open the pull request now. I probably won't have time to review it immediately as I am trying to finish up some big pull requests and review other mappings. The changes to the scripting engine that were holding up the changes to Components' EffectUnit object were just merged, so I'll finish those changes soon. Taking a really quick look at your script, I see that the effects knobs on the DDJ-SX use 14-bit MIDI. I'll have to rework how the Pot objects in Components work to accommodate that. I don't have any controllers that use 14-bit MIDI, so I'll need help testing if it actually works. In the meantime, only mapping the MSB should work.

DJMaxergy wrote:Since compiling seems not so easy as I first saw the how-to description, I don't know if I can manage it in the near future...I try, but I must get more into these Git and GitHub things, I think.

If you don't have much time, don't worry about it. Hopefully all the changes I was referring to before will be merged real soon.

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Next

Return to Controller presets/mappings