Numark Mixtrack Platinum Mapping

XML preset files and script files (.js) for MIDI and other controllers.

Moderators: garth, User Customization Moderators

Re: Numark Mixtrack Platinum Mapping

Postby iamcodemaker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Note: I did this mapping for Mixxx 2.0.0, mapping on 2.1.0 looks a little different. If that is a problem, I suppose I can figure out how to build mixxx 2.1.0 on my machine and tweak the mapping. Not sure who makes those decisions, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, please do.
iamcodemaker

Postby Be. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:03 am

I suggest imitating how the Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 mapping handles effects (and perhaps loops too). You can read how it works on the wiki and the code is in the Git repository. You may want to copy code, or it may be easier to reimplement the functionality yourself.

Mixxx does have a slip mode toggled by the slip_enabled Control. It is also activated implicitly with beatlooproll_X_activate.

As for compiling 2.1 from source, there are instructions on the wiki.

Please upload the mapping files in a ZIP file attached to a post in this thread so users can use it easily before it gets merged for the next release.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby iamcodemaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:17 am

Ok, I'm just about finished. Files are on github. I can make a zip file if necessary.

2.0.0:
https://github.com/iamcodemaker/mixxx/b ... scripts.js
https://github.com/iamcodemaker/mixxx/b ... m.midi.xml

2.1.0:
https://github.com/iamcodemaker/mixxx/b ... scripts.js
https://github.com/iamcodemaker/mixxx/b ... m.midi.xml

Documentation: https://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/num ... k_platinum

Notes (somewhat obsolete now, see documentation above):
  • FX buttons always operate channels 1 and 2. This is a limitation of the controller that could be scripted around, but I got lazy (also how it works in Serato). (Fixed in the 2.1.0 mapping)
  • Both FX dry/wet strips control the same effects chain and will affect both channels 1 and 2 if effects are enabled on them. Serato has isolated effects banks for each channel. (Fixed in the 2.1.0 mapping)
  • The "BEATS" knobs are not mapped, this concept did not translate cleanly to Mixxx. (Update: mapped to the FX mix knob in 2.1)
  • Sometimes there are artifacts in the auto after long spinback maneuvers. This may not have anything to do with the controller. (Update: I don't see this happening with the latest mappings on 2.1)
  • The sub-beat auto-loop buttons do not light up when enabled unless the shift key is pressed. This is different from how they work in Serato.
  • Master sync enable and disable works like in the Mixxx software interface, not how it works in Serato. Shift-sync is not mapped. (Update: shift-sync is mapped to quantize in 2.1)
  • The up/down indicators on the LCD screens to indicate which direction to adjust the pitch slider are not implemented. It's possible to do, but would require some scripting.
  • Browse knob press is unmapped. I couldn't get this to do something sensible in Mixxx 2.0.0. Version 2.1.0 seems to have more sensible options. (Fixed in 2.1.0 mapping, use shift press to change panes, shift turn like pgdown/pgup, press to select)
  • VuMeter works like in Serato. If any pfl/cue button is active, the meter shows levels for the channel of the currently active deck. Otherwise master is shown.
  • VuMeter colors correspond to what is shown in the Mixxx interface. Top (red) indicator maps to the clipping indicator. This is different from Serato, but I think it is more useful.
  • For 4 deck operation, the controls must be moved close to their previous position after switching decks to modify the control. If not moved close to the last position, the control does nothing. This applies to everything except the pitch control which starts operating as soon as it is moved. This is all handled in the controller. (update: the pitch control works like this now too)

Next thing to do, port this to Mixxx 2.1.0 (done). I'll keep the 2.0.0 version around for people to use. I also need to look at how the Mixtrack 3 has effects mapped (done) and I'll map the slip mode indicator to slip_enabled (done).

Edit: lots of edits, new releases are uploaded here
Attachments
mixtrack-platinum-2018-11-21.zip
shift+load loads and plays or ejects
(52.48 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
mixtrack-platinum-2018-10-23.zip
shift+padmode+sampler makes hotcue button control sampler banks 5-8
(50.99 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
mixtrack-platinum-2018-04-15.zip
2.1.0 scratch parameter tweaks
(39 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Last edited by iamcodemaker on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:51 am, edited 27 times in total.
iamcodemaker

Postby Be. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:57 am

iamcodemaker wrote:VuMeter works like in Serato. If any pfl/cue button is active, the meter shows levels for the channel of the currently active deck. Otherwise master is shown.

That's clever. Perhaps we should adopt this as the standard way to map controllers that only have one pair of meters.

iamcodemaker wrote:For 4 deck operation, the controls must be moved close to their previous position after switching decks to modify the control. If not moved close to the last position, the control does nothing. This applies to everything except the pitch control which starts operating as soon as it is moved. This is all handled in the controller.

Please note this in a comment in the code somewhere.

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby iamcodemaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Added support for 'slip_enabled'.
iamcodemaker

Postby iamcodemaker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:38 am

For the Mixxx 2.1.0 mapping, does it make sense to define components in javascript for controls that don't need any extra scripting? Take for example the EQ controls or the cross fader. These items only exist in the XML file and aren't specified at all in the JS file. Does it make sense to convert these to components in the JS?
iamcodemaker

Postby Be. » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:11 am

If you want to, sure. If you want to reimplement the mapping of shift + EQ knobs to control parameters of the focused effect like the Mixtrack Pro 3 mapping, Components would be helpful for that. It would also be helpful for toggling decks for 4 deck mixing, but I suspect that's handled by the controller's firmware already considering there are buttons for it on the device.

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby iamcodemaker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:17 am

Ok, I'll think it over. I did some of the controls. It allows the removal of some of the init code and custom code to invert the pitch faders. Beyond that, not much else is different though.

And yes, 4 deck control is implemented entirely in the controller's firmware.
iamcodemaker

Postby iamcodemaker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:29 am

I have been playing around with the effects handling with components.js and everything mostly works (about how it does in serato). There is one issue though: there is no way to disable softTakeover. SoftTakeover isn't necessary and is actually confusing because this controller has touch strips for the effects section. Each input on the touch strip is effectively an absolute position so there is no need for softTakeover. I tried changing components.js myself to add an option to disable softTakover on the EffectUnitKnob but this didn't seem to work. Any advice?
iamcodemaker

Postby iamcodemaker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:21 pm

I think what I may do is just replace the EffectUnitKnob component with my own custom one.
iamcodemaker

PreviousNext

Return to Controller presets/mappings