Midi questions

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Midi questions

Postby BigCcat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:56 pm

I am working on a DIY controller and have most everything working !! I’ll make sure to post a full write up when i’m done.

My understanding is that MIXXX will output midi for the spinning platter lights?
Please see the Stanton SCS.3d as an example.
There is a good you tube video showing the spinning platter leds and how they will actually keep time with the song. Like a sticker on your record.
I looked at the code for the Stanton from the Github page, but i do not see where in the code it sends any information back to the controller for the spinning platter OR for the VU meters for that matter.

As long as i know what the midi note assigned to the leds then i can script the proper midi note out to activate those correct?
Do the spinning platters operate differently??

Any help on how commercial controllers are supposed to work and how MIXXX interfaces with them, in regards to VU meters, spinning platter lights, or any of the other on boards feedback lights would be greatly appreciated.

Ok i was able to find some sample of code for the VU meters on the Denon MC6000mk2.midi.xml file.
If someone could give an explanation to those lines of code that would also be helpful

Thank you
BigCcat

Re: Midi questions

Postby tapir » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 pm

Each of the VU meter LEDs is switched on or off if the VuMeter control value exceeds or drops below the defined limit respectively. The range of the control value varies between 0.0 and 1.0. Simply tweak the limits until the LED response matches what you see in Mixxx.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby BigCcat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Ok, that helps clarify how the VU meters work.

Any info on the spinning platters?
I thought about it some more last night and would like to know if there is a way for MIXXX to send a time code back out? In other words is there a way for MIXXX to send the time remaining of the song out?
I believe i could duplicate the Numark’s Mixtrack Platnum’s screen isn’t he center of the jog wheel. Or at least use that data for spinning platter effect.
BigCcat

Postby daschuer » Fri May 17, 2019 9:23 am

We don't have a dedicated control for it.
You need to calculate the current Playposition using
playposition track_samples and track_samplerate controls.

Than divide this by 100 / 3 * 60 to get the fraction of one spinny turn.
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Postby BigCcat » Fri May 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Ok cool. Thank you for the feedback.
BigCcat

Return to General Discussion