Author: David Hernández (davidhm)
Working in this community has been a lot of fun. It has given me valuable experience in coding on collaborative projects. Previously, almost all my work has been individual or with a group of 4/5 students, but it has never been of this scale. I've learned about the way open source projects work, with pull requests, code review, bug tracking, etc. and I've deepened my knowledge of C++ and the Qt framework. I've also learned that IDEs are invaluable when it comes to handling this scale of code otherwise it becomes cumbersome to navigate and read the necessary code.
I thank my mentor @daschuer for his help, especially for his comments on the code and the patience to deal with my schedule issues. Overall, it's been an intense project, but a rewarding one. Coding is always fun, but it is yet more fun when you see the (hopefully correct) results of your code.
Further below the original proposal with the full details of the project is found. The whole code is in the following github pull request:
In hindsight, perhaps the pull request should have been split in several PRs to keep comments and reviews of the code focused on only one topic.
Clearly, one of the things that remains to be done is the Last.fm API, which I will finish when I find the time. Beyond that, perhaps what needs to be done is further testing with more broadcasting products suggested in https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1775095 and mantain the code generated.
In this project I will write the code foundation that will broadcast the tracks currently being played in the Mixxx app to various services (online or not) dedicated to compile this information and display it for everyone. First I will implement a proof-of-concept text file displaying the current track. Then I will work on a Listenbrainz listener. Afterwards, I will make a MPRIS broadcaster with QtDbus so that other apps can receive this info. I originally intended to include a Last.fm API scrobbler but I didn't have the time.
Modified as of 16/07/2018.
During this week I added the necessary signals to track when a track is paused, resumed, loaded and unloaded. I also created some timers to count the played time, necessary to know when a track is scrobbable. I wrote some tests for the Track object, which was intended to hold this information.
During this week I moved all the metadata management to a separate class, instead of the Player Manager, moved the timers away from the Track object to this class, introduced the total volume as a factor to take into account besides whether if a track is being played or not and redid the implementation of the timer to use GuiTick50ms as I was told the waveforms conflict with the use of QTimer's timeout signal.
This week I finished the scrobbling manager and wrote some automatic tests for it. I also started working on the file listener.
This week I refactored the file listener into a factory and template to accommodate for the various file formats admitted by the broadcasting APPS. I also refactored the scrobbling manager to allow for dependency injection and changed the isTrackAudible function into a strategy pattern.
I've decided to start with the user settings before programming the API client that will interact with Last.fm. I wrote a new tab in the user settings and refactored the file listener so it uses those settings (a previous version).
This week I refactored the metadata settings dialog, deleting the table view and moved the file settings to a new class. I added a work in progress concurrency for the file listener and I removed the factory and template method.
This week I refactored the file listener class to use a dedicated thread and started implementing the ListenBrainz API interaction.
This week I finished the ListenBrainz interaction and fixed the metadata preferences tab.
This week I started implementing the MPRIS interface. It took a while because Qt's DBus implementation is incomplete and I didn't realize.
This week I wrote a dedicated class to implement the MPRIS MediaPlayer2Player logic.
This week I finished the MPRIS implementation.
This week I refactored the code to meet some propositions on github as well as simplifying implementations and changing UIs.
For this deadline, I will have a solid code base and a proof of concept of a scrobbler in the form of a txt file.
For this deadline, I will have the full interaction with the ListenBrainz API. Including the option added to the preferences, the authentication process and the uploading of the scrobbles. As well as solving any bugs that come up.
For this date, I will have finished the interaction with the MPRIS interface, and if I have time I will implement a Last.fm interaction.
Here's a rough outline of the intention of the project. This is far from complete.
A track counts as a new listen when:
A track is audible if its final volume is above 20% (including pregain and faders).
For the “now listening” signal (i.e much less restrictive than the full listen), every second the track with the most overall volume is the one selected.